Skip to main content

Patrick Doyle Does the Panhandle

This summer is important to me. No more will I tolerate oppressive forest fires, dry heat, and drought. So I am spending early summer in the Northwest and late summer further south, when monsoons will hopefully put out the forest fires that already started in May.

On the first real day of looking for a new campsite, I was shocked to learn that I was completely 'out of shape' for camping in dark, wet forests. Would my open-differential rear-wheel-drive van get stuck the first time it rained? Did I even own an umbrella? A rain suit? How would I walk my dog in the rain and keep the inside of the trailer clean?

The forest was thick and dark. It almost seemed threatening. And here I was: a new ATT customer with a WeBoost amplifier. But was it going to do me any good?

I am ashamed to admit it, but I felt sort of panicky. What happened to my mighty ideals and hopes? I thought of some music written by Patrick Doyle for the beginning of "Carlito's Way".

Now if you listened to the link you might say, "Was the situation really that dramatic and tragic." But you are ignoring how sick one can get of drought and fire and the color brown. It can become a prison that you are desperate to escape. Perhaps the story in "Carlito's Way" came into this situation, as well as the music. Carlito had been released from prison but was finding it difficult to start a new way of life.

A local coffee shop looked interesting. In fact this place had a little cheese factory inside that you could watch through a window: not exactly what you expect to see in a small Idaho town.

Next to my table was a piano of all things. In Idaho? Leaning upright against the wall, an arm's length away from the piano, was a beautiful wooden canoe.

That seems like a funny combination. But think of paddling through a lake, slowly... When the paddle rests, water drips off into the quiet, calm lake and makes the circular waves. It is redolent of a certain type of piano music. A fine example of this would come once again from Patrick Doyle.

The situation was redeemed. Indeed I found a well-graveled forest road that was not soupy despite the rain. And I got connected to the ATT signal.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
REDACTED Anonymous said...
Where have you visited in the Idaho Panhandle ? I used to live there near XYZ Idaho, and worked in Couer 'd Alene. It was a beautiful area
I don't want to hurt Anonymous's feelings but I didn't want to mention the specific town they did. So I removed it from their comment.

I mention general areas in the three parallel bars in the upper right corner of my blog. But I don't want to be specific. The great problem with camping these days is that all the formerly good places have become too well known and too popular with assholes I don't want to camp near.

The people who deserve to have their necks wrung are bloggers/vloggers who blabbermouth specific locations just for the click-bait income or just for their personal vanity of having lots of readers.