Skip to main content

The Glory of Winter Sun

What is the ultimate luxury for a camper?  One good answer would be "a hot shower with 20 gallons of water."

Another good answer would be "basking in the winter sun."  In the winter it is easy to feel giddy on a sunny day, after suffering the relentless onslaught of hot sun the rest of the year.  It feels like skin candy to feel warm sun and chilly air at the same time.  

I have actually walked around outdoors without my Henschel hat and deliberately exposed many square inches of skin to the sun!  

For the ultimate luxury in winter camping, I parked with the trailer's door facing south -- something that I never do the rest of the year.  Normal screen would have been better than the solar screen that I have.

In a small and non-descript arroyo, there was quite a wonder if you look at it right.  Imagine you are a lizard on a chilly winter day and found a palace like this to luxuriate in!


I was hoping that my little dog would crawl in and pose, but the lizard-palace was a bit small for her.

At the end of the day, comes the magic hour. (ten minutes actually)  You appreciate the topography best when low sunlight comes in and glows on it, like dying coals in a fireplace.

Book Cliffs at sunset.

Comments