I was camping and mountain biking recently on some Utah land that seemed slightly upland. There was nothing spectacular about it, but I was quite fond of it.
Why were the rocks so rounded as they typically are near rivers? (It is not so hard to visualize sand in rivers abrading rocks into a rounded shape.) But we were 8 miles from the mighty Green River. Maybe geology just isn't the right study for appreciating what it is all about.
Something truly amazing caught me by surprise. I biked for a hundred feet on one of the trails and didn't bump into one rock. Not one! Is there anything sweeter to a mountain biker than a smooth trough of packed dirt?
I tell ya, the world ain't fair. How many times does a tourist gush over smooth ground? Poets don't praise it, musicians don't rhapsodize over it, and the local chamber of commerce doesn't offer a free brochure extolling it.
Maybe I am at the phase in my RV career when I don't need to gawk at mountains anymore.
It has been years since a piece of smoothness seemed so nice to me. The last time was on some rocky shithole of a trail outside Madera Canyon, south of Tucson.
Photography isn't the right medium for honoring and appreciating a smooth trail. Music is. Here is an offering from Brahms, his piano quintet in F minor, opus 34, the second movement.
He called it "Andante, un poco adagio." Only a mountain biker, with a Translate app, can really appreciate the beauty of those words when on a playful soft kitten of a trail.
![]() |
| Maybe I was wrong about photography not being able to appreciate soft trails. (I can't find the photographer's credit, right now.) |

Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.