Skip to main content

Looking For a Way to Praise Soft Trails

I was camping and mountain biking recently on some Utah land that seemed slightly upland.  There was nothing spectacular about it, but I was quite fond of it.

Why were the rocks so rounded as they typically are near rivers?  (It is not so hard to visualize sand in rivers abrading rocks into a rounded shape.)  But we were 8 miles from the mighty Green River.  Maybe geology just isn't the right study for appreciating what it is all about.

Something truly amazing caught me by surprise.  I biked for a hundred feet on one of the trails and didn't bump into one rock.  Not one!  Is there anything sweeter to a mountain biker than a smooth trough of packed dirt?

I tell ya, the world ain't fair.  How many times does a tourist gush over smooth ground?  Poets don't praise it, musicians don't rhapsodize over it, and the local chamber of commerce doesn't offer a free brochure extolling it.

Maybe I am at the phase in my RV career when I don't need to gawk at mountains anymore.

It has been years since a piece of smoothness seemed so nice to me.  The last time was on some rocky shithole of a trail outside Madera Canyon, south of Tucson.

Photography isn't the right medium for honoring and appreciating a smooth trail.  Music is.  Here is an offering from Brahms, his piano quintet in F minor, opus 34, the second movement.   

He called it "Andante, un poco adagio."  Only a mountain biker, with a Translate app, can really appreciate the beauty of those words when on a playful soft kitten of a trail.

Maybe I was wrong about photography not being able to appreciate soft trails. (I can't find the photographer's credit, right now.)


 

Comments