Skip to main content

Speaking of Sunsets...

Near sunset the other night, I was accidentally watching a video by a linguist.  She was explaining how your mouth closes when you pronounce the vowel in 'pie'.  There are two vowel sounds -- they are subtle, but they are there. It is quite something how mechanical and muscular speech is.

She went on to discuss sounds that are made at the back of the mouth, closer to the throat, versus sounds made at the front of the mouth, near the teeth and lips.  Or whether you breathe through the sound or not.

Outside the screen door of my trailer, sunset was starting to happen.  (At this time of year it is cheerful to point your screen door towards the west so you can lengthen the day a little.)

I wasn't looking out the screen, directly at the sunset.  I was in the back of the trailer, so I saw the sunset indirectly as it changed the color of the back wall of the trailer.

It was surprising how unusual the color of that back wall was.  The color changed by the second as the sunset developed.  Some of those color changes were subtle, but paradoxically, the color was also rich and warm.

As I watched this happening, my brain was still on the linguistics video.  It seemed like the sunset was talking to me.



Comments