Skip to main content

An Attitude Toward Risk

It is that time of year when I am in bear country and wrestling with a bit of "ursa-phobia." I have knocked it down by 50%.  Black bears don't bother me anymore.  It's only the grizzlies, so I avoid the Yellowstone to Glacier corridor.

There might be something that is more dangerous: leaning ponderosas.


Imagine what a falling ponderosa would do to your flimsy little camper or tent!  And they do fall.  Currently I am camping on a stony ridge where, presumably, tree roots are underdeveloped.  So this kind of thing happens during windy days:


But something else is happening around here.  Some of these trees were weakened by fire.  At a height of 3 feet above the ground, the tree shreds (!) and falls.




So obviously I try to camp away from sick or leaning trees!  But you have to look at risk in perspective.  It is so dependent on what you are used to.  People live close to smoking volcanoes, on top of earthquake faults, or in tornado alley.  When you drive down a two-lane highway, somebody is coming the opposite direction just a few feet from your vehicle.

Clearly, one has to learn to live with risk.  That means doing what you can to minimize it, but it also means not consciously dwelling on it. 

But I still am not happy about those grizzlies.

Comments

For my non-desert wanderings it is alligators.
Barney, alligators must grab pets, now and then. Yuk.
Barney OFM, your blog won't let me comment. I have looked into why, but have made no progress.
I just responded to your comment on my blog. I use the MSN free browser I have been using for years without troubles.
I've seen a few RVs that parked at the wrong spots.
I had issues with leaving Comments and the fault was Google kept signing me out.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.
Rick and Kathy, which browser were you using when Google signed you out? Do you mean signed out of your account. Was an adblocker causing the problem?
Barb in FL said…
I live in hurricane country and have large oak trees for shade. They don't hang over the house but make a ten degree differance from the backyard to the open frontyard. Lots of people cutting down old trees around me. Lady three houses down spent $4000(!!!) to cut down an 80 year old water oak. It was huge.

I can't comment on OFM's blog anymore.
Tells me to sign in with blogger, but I don't want to make an account. Tried with just google. Nope. I do have an adblocker.???
If you see this, HI Barney!
Barb, lucky you, with the oak trees. You probably meant live oaks?
Barb in FL said…
I have live oaks as most around here. However, she said specifically that is was a water oak, 80+ years old, in bad shape. We looked it up as we never heard of a water oak. Sure enough there is and other kinds too, which I thought were holly trees. The stump left on that water oak is at least 5-6 feet across!