Skip to main content

The End of the Physical Media Era?

Well, I've finally finished a big project: digitizing a box-full of Blu-Ray disks.  A couple weeks ago my picture and sound-maker died. (aka, monitor, TV screen)  It took the signal from a Blu Ray player.  Typically I used these less for entertainment than for a sleeping pill at night, or for the last hour of the evening when my eyes don't feel like reading. 

It was quite a shock to learn how badly I had gotten out-of-date.  The kid at Best Buy told me, "Nobody sells DVD players anymore!"  Just imagine what the kid was thinking!  His Yuma customers were so old and, like, out-of-it.  He would be so stoked if he had, like, younger customers, bro.

Well, nobody seems to sell small monitors (with speakers) that are compatible with Dolby Digital sound coming from most Blu Ray players, either.  

Everything is supposed to be "streamed" these days, and paid for with a monthly fee, tied to your credit card.  That makes it easy for the bastards to renew your subscription automatically annually and sneak up the "rent." (Think Amazon Prime.)  I am the kind of consumer who prefers deliberate and occasional purchases of something that he will own.  And its job is to function for quite a few years.  (I can just see that kid at Best Buy rolling his eyes over that one!)

Besides, it isn't practical for a traveler and camper to depend on good internet connections everywhere.  Offline entertainment is important.

Actually I haven't rejected the Blu Ray disk so much as I've bowed to the reality of dust and vibration's effect on plastic.  Look at this disk box:


This is what bumpy roads and dust can do to a storage box.  The disks themselves are not the problem -- but they are typically housed in poorly designed plastic boxes.  And a box of disks takes up quite a bit of space!

Comments

Barb in FL said…
Glad you figured out a way to watch your movies. Isn't technology great?
Barb, perhaps it was good that I was forced to digitize. The disks were getting pretty scratched up. I had an 80% success rate with digitizing them, which ain't bad. The percentage could only have gotten worse each year.
Anonymous said…
What do you mean you "digitized" them? DVDs and Blu Ray are already digitized. Did you just save them to your hard drive or to the cloud? There are some good reasons to still own a movie. Some movies may be banned and difficult to ever see again. Others may just not be available to stream. Also, how many streaming services would a person need to buy to just have access to the various movies they might like to watch every few years?
Anonymous, by "digitized" I meant that they were transferred to flash drive storage for my laptop and phone. I used Sandisk Dual Drive flash drives, which have BOTH wide USB tips (Type A) and the more modern narrow Type C tips. So they can be used on the laptop AND my Android phone. I avoid cloud storage for movies because it would take too long to download them from the cloud. Flash drives and external SSD are inexpensive.
Anonymous, by "digitized" I meant that they were transferred to flash drive storage for my laptop and phone. I used Sandisk Dual Drive flash drives, which have BOTH wide USB tips (Type A) and the more modern narrow Type C tips. So they can be used on the laptop AND my Android phone. I avoid cloud storage for movies because it would take too long to download them from the cloud. Flash drives and external SSD are inexpensive.
Anonymous, I should have used the jargon, "ripping" the disks. That is how most people would say it. I try to avoid jargon.