Skip to main content

An Authentic Natural Experience

I was hoping to see more DVD and Blu-Ray disks showing up at thrift stores, and that it would be an interesting hobby to look for them.  After all, a traveler has a chance to visit many thrift stores, strewn across several states.

The other day I actually put that idea into practice.  After ripping my box of scratched DVD disks to my computer, it made a real impression on me to find a disk in the thrift store in perfect condition.  The thrift store charged only one dollar for it.

And what a lucky choice:  "Tosca" by Puccini, performed by top-rated people.  I felt like a prospector in the Old West who got lucky.



Let's hope this serves as a real inspiration.  Previously I had disliked the loosely organized clutter of thrift stores.  Here is a chance to see practical life on the broad canvas of human history: the frugal habits of our Depression-era parents, free range grazing in the American West, and the craze that followed chance discoveries of gold.

Even more broadly, shopping in a thrift store carries on the timeless tradition of being a human hunter and gatherer.  Let me come out of the thrift store, clutching my bargains, and with a lean and predatory look on my face.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We've been doing that for years. We focus on older movies that are likely to be banned because they are politically incorrect or can't be found on streaming services due to issues like copyright concerns over the soundtrack. We never pay more than a dollar. It's almost as satisfying as finding the occasional Carhartt long sleeve shirt for $5 or less.
Anonymous, you probably wonder why it took so long for me to get 'with it.' (grin)