Skip to main content

Changing My Method of Autumn Migration

What am I overlooking?  There has to be a better way to manage my autumn migration.  If I moved 50 miles south of here I would probably escape the smoke, according to airnow.gov.  But I resist going into Nevada.  Besides, where will the smoke-blob be tomorrow?  The westerly direction of the wind on most days is all that we can rely on.

I am probably not the only seasonal migrationalist who resists retreating back north for short periods.  It is like a military general refusing to retreat!  

In practical terms, retreats do increase your transportation costs.  But perhaps this can be overestimated.

Instead of my usual pattern of pushing relentlessly southward -- despite local eccentricities in altitude, smoke, and latitude -- perhaps I should do tactical switchbacks to the east or west, while still maintaining a strategic southwardness?

Comments