I had seen that truck pulling the horse trailer, before. It was a flatbed pickup truck with a goose neck style horse trailer attached to it. The rancher would let the horses out onto a green swale, for a tasty snack. In the bed of the truck a large border collie would pop out to the edge. Somehow he found a grip and didn't fall off.
What a noble creature! So enthusiastic and full of purpose and meaning. The dog looked around in all directions, so eager to get down to work. He was a Waaaahomn ranch dawg, and prawd of it -- Yippee I Oh, baby!
And yet I laughed at myself for being such a simpleton, so easy to please. What sight could be more common in ranch country than a contented dog or two in the bed of a pickup truck? But it was so classic. It was impossible to see something like this and not go away with a persistent afterglow: all was right with the world.
__________________________________
Most afternoons the ritual of torture plays out. The clouds build up. Rain really looks possible. But there is only a few drops. How cruel Hope is!
But what do I have to complain about? I am camped at 9500 feet, close enough to some trees to get shade after 330 p.m. But the shade happens earlier because of those tantalizing clouds.
I try to negotiate with the weather gods: "we'll settle for 0.03" of rain. We're not greedy." But it doesn't work. Why am I so hard to please?

Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.