Skip to main content

Why Should Wind Ever Be Gusty?

It has been a long time since wind was a factor when camping.  But I was caught by surprise at 2 a.m. by severely gusty wind.  It was impossible to sleep, especially because I was not prepared for the wind.  Otherwise, the stabilizers would have been put down and the window would have been closed on my door.  But I was afraid to open the door in that wind.

What could cause gusty wind at night?  In the daytime you can imagine violent sunlight causing differential heating of the local topography.  But at night, it seems like air pressures would gradually equalize.  Hence no gusts.

My goodness, how can a fellow spend so much time outdoors and not learn more about how the earth works?  And yet, virtually every blog or video talks about nature as eye-candy to be consumed. 



Comments

  1. My experience has been a storm is on the way when gusty winds arrive....batten down the hatches !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be right about storms and gusts, but it seems strange that I haven't been more observant of what goes along with gusts. Strictly speaking, gusts are more troublesome to a camper than high winds that are steady.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.

Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.