Skip to main content

A Season With No Name

Looking at the long-range weather forecast for the inland Northwest, I felt euphoria and relief.  We are at a wonderful time of year.  Summer isn't over, certainly.  But the heat waves are over.  There is nothing wrong with warm days in summer.  But 'hot' is disgusting.  It is confidence-inspiring to realize that the worst heat has toughened you up for merely moderate heat.

What is the name of this time of year?  Pagans celebrated and named holidays at the winter solstice and at rebirth in spring.  And harvest-time.  Did they celebrate this time of year?

Ironically I am camped higher than my other locations, this summer.  You don't expect a nice breeze in late summer but we had one.  Glorious.  I needed some way to celebrate the occasion.

It has been awhile since my little dog had a bath.  I used to say, "There is nothing better in this world than a freshly laundered poodle."  But I bought clippers for this dog, which cut hair 1-1.5 millimeters from the skin.  Essentially the dog is being 'bathed' by the haircut.  So she hasn't gotten her fair share of water-and-shampoo baths.

Well, she got a real bath today and smelled heavenly, with her lavender-and-rosemary doggie shampoo.  

We went for a walk in that breeze, to dry her.  It was a bath for me, too, of cool motion over the largest organ of the human body.  Every square inch of skin is happy.

From allpoodleinfo.com.  Some people are so good at wrapping their dogs in towels after a bath.  It makes for a cute "spa" photograph.


Comments