Skip to main content

Summer Says Goodbye and I Say Good Riddance

The last national holiday weekend of summer is always a poignant moment and a chance to reflect on seasonal progress.  How could a person find a way to enjoy or be interested in their "fellow campers" when they seem to be about nothing more than noisy and showy toys?  Perhaps I am not optimistic and persistent enough to find something of interest. 

Instead, I aim my efforts at non-human things like topography, clouds, creeks, and dogs.  And it always seems to work.  My little dog sent a text message down to "Duke,"  her doggie friend down in Utah.


Water never seems more alive than when it splashes through a fast moving creek.  I think my little girl was trying to make Duke envious of our Idaho location.  He is a labrador retriever after all.

My little girl loves her lifestyle.  She runs to the bicycle to get snapped into the bungee-leash.  She has learned to keep her distance from the front wheel.  Her pace is a relentless fast trot, occasionally breaking into a wild gallop.  Her favorite moment was when she got a noisy drink from that Idaho creek:


What admirable creatures dogs are, to lap up the cool refreshing water with so much gusto!  Human visitors on a holiday weekend couldn't enjoy that water unless they could find a way to spend money on it or make electronically-amplified noise with it.

Comments