Skip to main content

Lewis and Clark Almost Did Me In

How do people pull large horse trailers on forest roads in the mountains?  Answer: they are probably locals who are familiar with the roads.  Other people probably wonder how RVers like me pull trailers on those roads in the mountains, since I am usually on unfamiliar roads.

Besides having a suitable trailer it is important for your map to distinguish maintained, gravel roads from mere jeep roads.  You get started on one of these easy roads and pause at turnaround (T junction) spots and 'look before you leap.'  (It isn't that much work to drop the trailer there, especially if you eschew weight distribution bars.  Then you can check out the rest of the road with just your tow vehicle or bicycle.)

That is the theory, anyway.  Macho pride can get a person into unfortunate situations and that almost happened to me yesterday.  Quite by accident I was on a road to yet another pass that Lewis & Clark used between Idaho and Montana.  But then the whole idea grabbed me, and I stubbornly kept climbing the increasingly steep road. 

Fortunately I ran into a tough Idaho gal who warned me about the increasing upcoming steepness.  So I parked at what miraculously turned out to be the last turnaround spot, and started walking toward the pass.


The photo was taken from the first switchback.  Already the van and trailer were looking pretty small.  There was a long way to walk to the top of the pass.  And she was right, it was steep.

If I had used my bicycle I would have pushed it half the time.  Actually it made an interesting walk.  I seldom hike recreationally except for short dog-walks because it is easier to escape bugs and heat on a mountain bike.  But a purposeful, non-recreational hike is a great idea especially if it 'saves your bacon.'

Comments

Barb in FL said…
I've read that when Lewis & Clark got to the coast they were surprised to see it inhabited. Never ever heard about that in school. Nice photo of the view.
Anonymous said…
by "Unknown": I'm guessing that was [redacted] Pass which I drove on 2 July 2011. I don't remember that steep part but do vaguely remember that it was narrow so meeting any oncoming traffic would be an 'experience'.
Barb, inhabited by whom?
Barb in FL said…
Barbary coast types, Spanish, even some Chinese.