Skip to main content

Rejected as Unsuitable!


I had been warned in advance of how unpleasant it can be to go to a dog rescue organization. Foolishly or not, I went ahead with it and found one little dog that interested me.

What a shock it was to get email from them, dismissing me as an unsuitable adopter of one of their highly valuable dogs (typically a pit-bull or chihuahua mix which usually comes -- at no extra charge -- with separation anxiety, a missing leg or eyeball, and uncertain bathroom habits).

According to these experts I was unsuitable because I didn't have a fenced backyard of a certain size, and because I didn't reside in Arizona for six months per year.

Now, it is probably true that people become more humble about themselves, over the years. But until that email I had persisted in the conceit that I was capable of raising happy dogs.

An RVer's first dog, miserable as ever.

 But I was wrong. What is my opinion compared to the experts, to The Science?

They probably didn't think an RVer could ensure adequate exercise for the dog without that backyard.

My second dog, repressed and disadvantaged by the lack of a fenced backyard.

 Believe it or not, I don't have any resentment against the individuals at the rescue organization. They are probably doing the best they can, and with limited resources.

My disagreement is with how things are done today. Every detail of our lives is at the mercy of a computerized form and some cubicle rat who lords over those forms. The rescue organization probably has a spreadsheet in which they type in the weight and age of the dog, and then the spreadsheet multiplies it by some fudge factor, and -- Voila! -- the adopter needs a 0.382 acre backyard with a fence 37.375" inches high in order to get approved as an adopter.

The best thing is to avoid organizations as much as possible. 

Comments

Avoiding most organizations makes a better life for sure.
Ted said…
A lot of these organizations cherry-pick dogs from shelters for resale, though they call it a donation. The dogs they collect are in high demand, have zero chance of being euthanized, and are only bring “rescued” from adoption by low life people like us. Avoid!
Ed said…
My limited contact with "rescue organizations" has been similar.

I think you will have much better luck with city/county animal control. However, as you have already discovered they are over supplied with pit bulls and pit bull mixes.

I have had good luck with Sierra Vista, AZ animal control; have adopted two dogs from them. I have also a good feeling about the Benson, AZ animal control.

No direct contact with the Springerville, AZ Round Valley Animal Rescue but they usually have cattle dogs or mixes as well as an over supply of pits.
Tombstone Small Animal Shelter is also a good possible choice although they have very few dogs available for adoption.
Border Animal Rescue in Bisbee is an "organization" but may be a possible choice. As would be Bisbee Animal Control although they both have few dogs available.
Ted, oh my gosh, I never thought of that! Do you mean:
1. Charitable organization is founded. Preferential tax treatment.
2. They avail themselves of cheap or volunteer labor. (After all, they are a noble cause.)
3. They establish a brand name of selling a premium product at a premium price.
4. After 10 years, they cease being a charitable organization and get "flipped" to a for-profit corporation.
Ed, I will be able to use some of your suggestions because I go right by them.

Both of my dogs came from "the pound", the local municipal animal shelter. They did not come from so-called rescue organizations.

Perhaps if I drive to the local shelter, I can get more done in person, rather than be an internet shopper at a rescue organization.

Ed said…
"Perhaps if I drive to the local shelter, I can get more done in person, rather than be an internet shopper at a rescue organization."

Yes, that has certainly been my experience.