It was my last ride in this area, so I wanted to choose the best one. I like cascading ridges in the distance.
The sheer rockiness of the land does not appeal to me, but riding puts a guy in a good mood, so:
Off to the side where I wasn't really focusing on it, I sensed something malevolent. Sure enough, a vertical mine shaft.
How I used to hate these things! I never have the guts to walk up and look in. Instead I stand a few feet away and toss a pebble in, and listen for clues.
More times than not, the shaft is just a hole 5 feet deep! It just makes for a laugh. But every now and then...
Even though these mine shafts have lost much of their terror to me, they still make a good metaphor for the future of Europe, America, and the Commonwealth countries. 'Circling the drain' would be better, but where do you find that in a desert!
Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.