Some people think I am being facetious with a title like that. They wonder, 'Since when do you need some tricks to enjoy looking at something that is breathtakingly beautiful?"
But the person saying that is unlikely to be a long-term traveler.
And what do they mean by "beautiful" anyway? They mean it's redder than usual. By that reasoning you could take a photo of a mediocre sunset, stick it into photo-editing software, and blast the shit out of it with fake redness.
What good would that do for a long-termer? But we still want to enjoy a fine sunset.
I have found something that helps me. There is something about listening to a song sung by Jimmy Buffet (album = Beach House on the Moon). I can't give you a link on You Tube but there is a version of it done by the song's writer.
Sunset is an angel weeping
Holding out a bloody sword
No matter how I squint I cannot Make out
what it's pointing toward.
Sometimes you feel like you've lived too long
Days drip slowly on the page
You catch yourself
Pacing the cage...
The impact of a sunset does not come from how red it is. It comes from combining a fine visual image with something else, be it the right piece of music or a powerful personal memory, especially one involving danger or suffering -- or at least, uncertainty.
It is thinking of what to combine the sunset with, that really matters. You feel a little thrill when you get it right. Otherwise it is just another photo cliche'.
But honestly, wouldn't the song be better if the second line said "holding forth a bloody sword!"
And I take purdy pichers of sunsets, too! Even if they aren't red.
Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.