Skip to main content

Low-lifes Who Give Boondocking a Bad Name

It was a pleasant surprise to find that I had friendly neighbors in my camping neighborhood. Every year it seems easier to be interested in people's activities and interests, with the exception of couch-potatoing, motor-crazed yahooing, or music. But you know what they say about things that seem too good to be true...

My luck had to run out on Christmas Day! I saw a camper with a rig similar to mine with one difference.  So I was curious about how it was working out for him.

I never approach a camper's door. I stand 30 feet away and ask my question. If nobody comes out, it is a hint that I should move on. And so I did. But on the way out copper wire snagged up in my front bike wheel.

As I paused to untangle the wire a fellow came out who perfectly fit the negative stereotype of 'boondockers', especially ones in low-cost rigs. 

But I counted my blessings. He wasn't loud or threatening. He merely called me a dumbass and told me to stay on the road. Better yet, he was not armed.

I continued to untangle the wire and tried to make an innocuous explanation or two. There was no response from him. Since he wasn't armed, I decided not to grovel in front of him with apologies. I jumped on my bike and left before he went into some sort of rant about his pet conspiracy theory. 

Bicycling down the road I had an extra appreciation for the friendly neighbors in my area.  In initiating contact with me, they took the chance that I was one of these loner, loser, low-lifes in a cargo trailer who should be avoided. 

This guy is glamorous and chic compared to the camper I met today.

 

Comments

  1. Yep In my over 50 years of camping I have encountered my share of less desirables out camping and the price of the rig has no bearing on the idiot inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barneym=, I wish I were better at spotting an undesirable BEFORE approaching their campsite. Fortunately there aren't too many of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.

Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.