Skip to main content

Puppies With Two Legs

I was almost laughing at myself as I did it: as I drove the utility vehicle by a campsite of (south Asian) Indians, I waved at small Indian children, and they waved back. It was impossible not to feel delighted with the little munchkins. 

I actually remember my grandparents acting like that around my siblings and me 60 years ago. But I never act like that around mainstream-white-middle-class kids, and haven't for decades. In fact I completely ignore them. I dislike them.

Why the double standard? Physical cuteness? -- nah. Do they first perceive behavior from me that then starts them into cute behavior? Or do they start it?

What a strange thing it is for a human to be delighted with just about any dog and to feel indifference or even disdain toward little members of his own species. I doubt my reaction is all that different from most Americans.

It is possible that the inability to be delighted with "our own" children is one of the best proofs that we are circling the drain as a society and culture.

Irresponsible parents: where is her mask and safety helmet? Is she running unsupervised? Did she make eye contact with a complete stranger at the park? What if he shoves her into a white cargo van and abducts her?

Mainstream American kids are taught by their parents, schools, and media to be fearful of strangers. They do not even respond if you say 'Hi', and their mother glares at you.

The little creatures have a year or two of childhood innocence of a sort. But of course they don't throws ball or ride bicycles -- it's too dangerous. 

Do American kids today even experience doting grandparents? Or are family lines so confused by divorce that grandparents have dropped out?

It isn't long before the Media gets ahold of them and turns their brains to mush. At school their mental decay goes even further. Soon they are acting like adolescents, even if they are only 7. They are only concerned about being "cool." 

Comments

Bon vivant said…
My sentiments precisely. Was just thinking of how our society, language, culture, education, cuisine, business worlds, et al. are doomed. History assures this and most are clueless of any change much less in what direction.
Ed said…
You have brought to my mind the most quoted man that disliked children - W. C. Fields.

I like children. If they're properly cooked.

There's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.

Children should neither be seen nor heard from – ever again.

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

For all that bluster, however, his last will and testament suggests sentiments of a different sort. Fields had specified that his money be used to establish a “W. C. Fields College for orphan white boys and girls, where no religion of any sort is to be preached.” Note: Fields family successfully challenged the will. On December 14, 1949, Judge McKay threw out the provision of the will that established a college for orphans.

So that would get him of the hook about hating children but brand him a white supremacist. Sometimes you can't win in this world or the next.



If more kids would just be allowed to be themselves the world would be a better place.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.