Skip to main content

A Patreon Experiment

It pays -- literally -- to be a bit skeptical about internet blogs that live on clickbait income, especially when they review products. But a certain amount of moderation is needed when criticizing the clickbait syndrome; after all, don't content-providers deserve to be paid, somehow?


An alternative to clickbait websites is needed, so I have finally put my 'money where my mouth is,' by signing up at a couple Patreon websites. Yes, that means that I actually pay to listen to or read their stuff. So far, my subscriptions are Kevin Stroud (and his history of the English language podcasts), and Dmitry Orlov.

It took a heroic effort to overcome my aversion to monthly subscriptions, but that is what Patreon wants you to do.

A cynic might look at the subscription business model and think that they are hoping you lose track of what sites you are committed to; meanwhile the money keeps coming out of your credit card, automatically. The whole thing is like drilling little holes in the hull of a ship.

But, much to my surprise, Patreon makes it easy to keep track of where your money is going, and you can cancel any time.

Let's hope this experiment works, because a constructive and practical alternative to clickbait sites is really needed.

Comments

  1. I will be supporting The History of the English Podcast soon. It's the only podcast I've ever listened to and it's very well done. Currently on #78. Thanks for suggesting it.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean I actually did somebody a service, Chris!? Seriously, glad it worked for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.

Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.