Skip to main content

A Patreon Experiment

It pays -- literally -- to be a bit skeptical about internet blogs that live on clickbait income, especially when they review products. But a certain amount of moderation is needed when criticizing the clickbait syndrome; after all, don't content-providers deserve to be paid, somehow?


An alternative to clickbait websites is needed, so I have finally put my 'money where my mouth is,' by signing up at a couple Patreon websites. Yes, that means that I actually pay to listen to or read their stuff. So far, my subscriptions are Kevin Stroud (and his history of the English language podcasts), and Dmitry Orlov.

It took a heroic effort to overcome my aversion to monthly subscriptions, but that is what Patreon wants you to do.

A cynic might look at the subscription business model and think that they are hoping you lose track of what sites you are committed to; meanwhile the money keeps coming out of your credit card, automatically. The whole thing is like drilling little holes in the hull of a ship.

But, much to my surprise, Patreon makes it easy to keep track of where your money is going, and you can cancel any time.

Let's hope this experiment works, because a constructive and practical alternative to clickbait sites is really needed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will be supporting The History of the English Podcast soon. It's the only podcast I've ever listened to and it's very well done. Currently on #78. Thanks for suggesting it.

Chris
You mean I actually did somebody a service, Chris!? Seriously, glad it worked for you.