Skip to main content

Time to Go North Again?

After restricting my circle of travel to the American Southwest for many years now, I should be excited about returning to the northern states. After all, I have a new tow vehicle now, and am on Medicare -- with nationwide coverage -- rather than an ACA plan that was tied to one state. And on top of all that, gasoline prices are low. So I am free to truly experience the 'freedom of the open road' again.

But wait a minute. Won't I just rediscover the reasons that made me a Southwesterner in the first place? North American geography has an unfortunate quirk: as you go north from the Colorado Plateau, the average altitude (for camping) declines. Therefore a thousand miles of northering doesn't cool you off, at all -- except during the shoulder seasons.

Northering also separates you from ponderosa forests, and gets you into spruce, lodgepole pine, and other dismal and thick boreal forests.

Typical northern scenery.
And the mosquitoes are terrible in the northern states!
 
More northern scenery

If you stay five miles from the Pacific Ocean you can stay cool, but at the expense of crowds, high prices, and an unappealing culture.

So I am doing a pretty good job of talking myself out of the 'freedom of the open road', aren't I? Maybe I am overlooking something. I certainly hope so.
_________________________________

OK, I have overlooked something. Years ago, I deliberately developed a disinclination for "brand name" spectacularly scenic tourist traps, and learned to love moderately scenic non-brand-names.

That has always been my secret weapon. Let's hope it works this summer.



Comments

Ted said…
Yup, you make excellent points. Which makes me glad as a relative newcomer to full-time travel (a mere nine years) that it will be quite some years before I run out of places to explore and/or get bored of the US southwest. And as I currently am hammock camping I truly enjoy that here in the Nevada interior mountain ranges there are NO BEARS. ;)
Ted, Bears would certainly add drama (and photo-ops) to motorcycle/hammock touring!
I am afraid you have nailed it perfectly. My last 5 years working was in SE Washington state. The other part that has me re-thinking every thing is the baby boomer tourist pile that has come into the full time rving. For me, except for the grandpa duties every summer in north Alabama, I tend to stay south of Utah/Colorado and its tourist flood. After 13 years of full timing, I have found a general area I like and just move some now and then to enjoy it. I am really glad I roamed the northwest when I did years ago and missed the current crowds. Good luck on your choice.
Barney, your comment got me thinking, so I added a paragraph at the end of today's post.

SE Washington state, eh? Sounds like it could have been hot as a firecracker, if you were close to the Snake River trench.

But I agree how your paired Utah with Colorado. They are both overcrowded tourist traps.
My tour of Washington was the Richland area right against the Columbia River. It got hot for about three weeks in August each year. A little farther from the Columbia River had longer hot seasons.
Ed said…
How about the Colville National Forest or Kanisku National Forest of Kootenai National Forest? Those are about as far north as you can get and they should not be overrun with tourist. Maybe the Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest it is isolated and central or eastern MT is not a tourist destination.
Ed, I really undervalue latitude, and look for halfway decent altitudes, and a minimum of national parks, lakes, art galleries, bugs, tourists, lakes, and other pests. Western MT or the scenery-suburbs of Yellowstone probably get 90% of MT's tourists? So central MT might work, although I suspect you get the best of both worlds there: rattlesnakes AND mosquitoes.

I really sound enthusiastic, don't I?