Skip to main content

Of Mice and Rattlesnakes

I have been lucky in my campground host job at having good people to work with, in particular a seasonal employee. The funny thing is that they claim they have never seen a rattlesnake here, in the campground. So you could say that they are a "rattlesnake-denier."

Earlier this week, that person got close enough to get rattled at.

On about the same day, a local, who recreates here a couple times per week, told me that he has never seen a rattler here, in 17 years. Another "denier." Three minutes after our conversation ended,  I encountered a smooshed, dead, baby rattler on the road. Wikipedia says they are born poisonous. 

_____________________________________

I have never been a great admirer of the prose styling done by government agencies. Our bulletin board says that "Rattlesnakes are important members of the natural community, since they help control rodent populations."

Do they? If that were really true, I would semi-domesticate a couple of them, water them, provide shade and anti-raptor protection, and station them underneath my trailer. All they need to do is control the mice, which are driving me crazy.


Although I have heard the frantic scratching before, last night was the first time I saw one of the little bastards, walking around on the trailer floor, like he owned the place. Here is the spot he was working on:


It is the main chassis ground cable that anchors my entire electrical system to the trailer chassis. Since it is the size of a battery cable, they hadn't managed to eat through it yet.

Surprisingly it has been fun to go shopping for rodent control products. Many of the brand names are suggestive of the motorsports industry, or perhaps the condom industry.

At any rate, I am overdue for some reading up on mice life. And maybe a YouTube of a rattlesnake nailing a mouse.

Comments

Ed said…
You don't want to try domesticating a rattlesnake, what you want is a Bull snake, (Pituophis catenifer), North American constrictor snake of the family Colubridae.

These snakes are called bull snakes over much of their range; however, in the western United States they are often called gopher snakes. Bullsnakes prefer small mammals such as mice and rats over any other prey, and one study estimated that an adult male bullsnake can devour nearly 1,000 field mice in one season.
Ed, 1000 mice per year! That would be just about right.

But I dunno. I once had a rodeo in the bottom of the Rio Grande gorge (Taos) with a bull snake. They are aptly named.
We've used the Victor Rodent Controller for years. They are plugged into the power outlets so the RV has to be plugged in or running a good inverter. The emit a low sound that does not bother Dogs, Cats or Humans but Rodents hate it and will stay away.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.
Rick and Kathy, glad you had good results with your ultrasonic repeller. I will consider it, but I have to admit that I am not enthusiastic about adding one more electronic gadget to my life, and battery.

So I am fantasizing about a pet bull snake. Maybe it would be more practical to adopt a cat from the animal shelter, water it, make it sleep outside, and feed itself. When it comes time to hitch, I could just...

Oops!
William said…
I have a shop that was not built "rodent-proof" (no nickel-size openings). Every morning, I check my "trap-line" for overnight kills. I do not use baited mouse traps. I use the kind with a big yellow trip paddle. I place the traps perpendicular to a vertical surface so that the rodent steps on the trigger as they move along the vertical surface (they dislike being in open space).

Our fifth wheel has never had mice inside. They have to get in through some opening, and there are none. It is a "four-season" model with a sealed underbelly. I did stuff four holes along the frame with stainless steel scrubbing pads. Mice do not chew through solid materials, they enlarge existing holes so their skull will fit through.

You may try and find the entrance points, in addition to trapping. Good luck, KB!

William, I expect good results from putting steel wool in the holes. It is hard to cut that stuff even with heavy scissors. Imagine the job it would do on a mouse's teeth.
Upriverdavid said…
If you don't mind, where are you located??I live where I was told not to worry about buzztails...But maybe as the planet is getting hotter, I've seen several squished 5 miles downriver from me.....
If they didn't have such nasty teeth combined with a non friendly injection, I wouldn't mind..
I also worry about my Barn Kat..he catches and eats snakes.The 1st I saw he had chomped the head off..Then The next last week he was working on the tail....I think it was still alive..
How can you explain to your best pal and snake-eater that he needs to start at the head, or just call me with my shotgun...If it's a rattler....By the way, he takes quite good care of disposing of any rodents.....Chomp-chomp....Mmmmmm good..he says....
UpRiverDavid, you are encouraging me to have cat fantasies with your story about your Barn Kat. I told the ranger that the campground should have an official cat on duty, who stays here permanently. All we have to do is water it. Let it be responsible for its own food.