Skip to main content

A Chiaroscuro for the Skin

Has another warm winter made me soft? Apparently it has.

Last night I finally used the warmer sleeping bag, purchased recently. (It's nominal rating is -25 F.) In the morning I deigned to heat up water for a bladder, and to insert it into my parka. But it wasn't that cold inside the camper -- 38 F is nothing extreme. (I refuse to use propane heat.)

But once the sun came up, I was lured into another mountain bike ride -- this time to town for a visit to the coffee shop, and a few errands.

Later in the afternoon I sat in a chair on the south side of the trailer and faced the sun. Sunlight was reflecting off a small piece of broken glass lying on the desert pavement. It was so bright that I could only look at it with my eyes mostly closed.

Normally this would be unpleasant. But under the circumstances it felt wonderful. I moved my chair closer to the leeward side of the white trailer. It felt like a warm oven.


How utterly perfect it was to balance the recent cold air with a warm effusion of forgiveness of the sun. And of course, there were no bugs.

When something is that perfect,  it seems that there should be a 'moral to the story' -- that is, something of general significance. But I either can't or don't want to do so.


Comments

Anonymous said…
You probably have mentioned before why you eschew propane, but please refresh our memories. For the life of me I can't imagine hanging out in a trailer, wearing gloves and a parka when one could light up the cat heater. It must be cumbersome to type wearing gloves. I suspect it's not a penance thing, right?

Chris
I don't wear gloves inside the trailer, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. Fingerless gloves would be OK for typing.

There are practical reasons against propane: the cost of the heater and fuel itself, the space, condensation, and safety.

But my main objection to heating is the psychological barrier it creates between the camper and the outside world.