Skip to main content

Drinking the Desert Air

I almost didn't go for a mountain bike ride today. The excuse was that it was too windy and cool. But my 12+ year old dog didn't feel the same way. She was insistent, as if she were still a wild puppy girl.

I'm glad she won the argument. In fact it wasn't too cool. The wind was moderated by some of the gullies and hills I rode through. Actually the air felt wonderful on the skin. You must try to appreciate how rare this is, in the desert Southwest.


What great timing! I am camera-less right now, and having little luck in finding a new camera. But why not try to turn that to advantage? 

Didn't Shakespeare say something like, 'A young man falls in love with his eyes, rather than his heart...'  Travelers have the same problem: they can't reach out to nature except through their eyeballs. The ubiquity of digital cameras, social media, and blogs has worsened the disease: nothing is worth appreciating unless it makes a purty postcard (and brings applause from 'readers' who are just armchair travelers, for the most part).

So it is great timing to use camera-less-ness to focus (ahem) on how wonderful the desert air is today.

Comments

Ed said…
I may just as well be camera-less, I have not used the one I have in more than a year. Even when I did take some pictures they were never what the armchair traveler would be interested in seeing.
Hey Ed, maybe I should buy your camera, if it is for sale.
Anonymous said…
Why all the fuss about a camera when ya rarely post photos anyway?
Anonymous, taking an occasional photo is still a part of my outdoors life. Don't confuse 'sheer quantity" with enthusiasm.