Skip to main content

Oscar Who?

Pop quiz: what was the last movie you saw? What year did you last see a movie at the theatre?

It is getting so I am not even sure which decade it was when I last went to a movie theatre. I guess you could say that movie DVD rentals still make the movie industry important.


But isn't it strange that there is still so much hype and hoopla over the Academy Awards, when the movie industry is sinking into irrelevancy? Is so-and-so going to say something against Trump at the awards? Will Hottie Buns win an award, or expose 80% of her body during a speech, or will it be 82%? How earth-shaking! Stay tuned!!!

Why not spew out vast amounts of publicity over who won the Pulitzer Prize, despite the fact that the newspaper industry is dying?

Or why not glorify the hero who works for the United States Post Office and won this year's "Employee of the Year" award?

 

Comments

Ed said…
I don't remember what the last movie I saw was but it would have been on TV sometime prior to 1991. The last time I was in a theater had to be some time during the 1970s.

Do I get an Oscar? Or just a participation trophy?
Wow, the 1970s! You deserve a real award for that. Call it a "non-participation" award.
Anonymous said…


Certainly movies are still big business. The difference is that there are so many other options as to how to view them than just going to the theater. Libraries, netflix, streaming, etc. The award ceremonies are just self-serving for the movie industry. People just love the glamour...consider all the hoop-la over Lady GaGa and what's his face in their duet...how totally inane and staged. Yet people love it. Every day I have to tell myself....don't expect too much. You'll always be disappointed. George.