Skip to main content

Morning Glory


There are some oddities in life that I'm happy not to explain: for instance, a perfect morning. How impoverished life would be without mornings! And yet there are people who sleep through them. I'm experiencing day after day of morning perfection while camping in the Sonoran desert outside Ajo. It's a miracle that six toy-haulers don't move in next to me, so I'd better enjoy this while I can.

There is nothing better in this old world of ours than a mountain bike ride to town for a good cup of joe and a muffin at a high-quality bakery, especially when the dirt road is virtually noise-mobile free. When I leave at just the right time, the air is still chilly, especially in the dips at arroyo crossings. Also, the sun hasn't yet cleared the small mountains. I need gloves but I deliberately leave them off  to feel the contrast of cold fingers and sunlight that will explode any minute now.

Coffee Girl is leashed to my waist belt. Her attitude is different than when she frolics off-leash, chasing rabbits; here she acts like she has a serious job to do. How could a dog run in a straight line and keep away from the wheels? (It helps to adjust the leash to the right length; she must not get out in front of the bike because she needs to see the front wheel in her peripheral vision.)

Ahh goodie, there are Morning Glory muffins available today. I always eat outside, which is kind of a shame because I can't talk to the customers inside. But there is no air in there. Every third customer stops by outside and plays with Coffee Girl and gushes about how pretty and friendly she is. Here is where we hang out:


Comments

This mornings pic is really nice. Thank you.
TomInBellaVista said…
I recall early morning February rides on my road bike when the starting temp was in the mid 20's. Layering was such a delicate balance. At a minimum I needed a windproof jacket, protection for my neck and hands. I had a neoprene mask that covered my neck and face up to my ears. If I could tolerate the cold for the first mile, I would be warmed up and I would settle into a balance that I could adjust by more or less exertion on the peddles. When I chickened out early and went home for a warmer layer, I almost always ended in a chilled pool of sweat. Those were good rides and the good memories.
Riding in the mid-20s is pretty tough. Below 40 F I tend to be a hiker more than a cyclist.