Skip to main content

To Motorhome Midnight...and Beyond

Anybody who really expects to reach one of his Resolutions for a new year would probably be wise to choose something halfway achievable. Otherwise he will laugh it off by the middle of January. I was beginning to feel that way about my #1 goal for 2012: pushing the Sandman of the BLM desert back to 9 pm. Amongst RV boondockers 9 pm is the witching hour known as "motorhome midnight."

Legends have grown up around the winter campfires of desert tribesmen on Arizona BLM land about what lies on the other side; 901 pm has always been an 'undiscovered country from which none returns.' Doctrines of the post-9 pm world have never been universally agreed upon, but they usually offer the vague threat of a shadowy netherworld.

You can probably guess why this goal was chosen, not least of which is that it made me feel like I belonged in a nursing home. Old folks have a hard enough time sleeping through the night without sabotaging it by going to bed too early.

The first couple weeks saw no progress. At 745 pm I would start checking the time, while almost groaning with weariness. Then I would watch what seemed like a third of the movie, and check the time again: 752 pm. It was hopeless. When the sun goes down in the winter, I really would just as soon cave in.

The whole thing was like the beginning of the movie, The Right Stuff. There was a mystique about breaking the sound barrier in a jet plane. Some engineers said it couldn't be done; the plane would destabilize and crash. Even the most fearless pilots were intimidated; a few died trying to break it. And then Chuck Yeager walked into the movie...

The truth is that I had given up on this noble quest and was inventing excuses for defeat. Then a lucky break came from an unlikely source. The public library at Ajo renewed my Pima County (Tucson) library card, despite being a non-resident. A little thing like that can add a lot to the camping experience. It had a movie I hadn't seen in a long time: Billy Wilder's The Apartment, starring Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, and Fred MacMurray. Hollywood has had very few directors who produced "talky" movies -- that is, movies with interesting dialogue between intelligent adults. Virtually all directors are camera worshipers; a lot of good that does me when my eyes are closed.

With Wilder's help I achieved the impossible dream: I blasted through 9 pm and was still going strong at 930, when prudence dictated that I avoid hubris and consolidate my gains.

Comments

  1. Ha, that sounds exactly like me..
    " what time is it? oh boy..8:00..hmmm.mabe I could go to bed now and read in bed " sure good idea..... 8:20......10 pages later....zzzzzzzzzz

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL -sounds familiar... never heard it put that way "motorhome midnight"..... We suffer from the same affliction. "panama scamp"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.

Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.