Skip to main content

The Moral Equivalent of Quartzsite

A recent commenter was profoundly correct when he praised camaraderie as the best reason for going to that gawd-awful mess at Quartzsite in January. Recently I had a chance to go for a short, pleasant walk in the desert with three bloggers and their dogs, "somewhere in the Ajo" area. The Bayfield Bunch, Ed Frey, and I weren't doing anything difficult; it could be done almost any day. But that's just the thing. I can't remember doing anything like this before with other RVers!

But why? Let's avoid my standard whine about RV culture and stick to the subject of what gets in the way of boondockers socializing with each other more. One possibility is the stereotypical image of RV boondockers as solitude-seekers: latter day Henry David Thoreaus or St. Simeon Stylites. I remember reading Walden, carefully, and was a bit scandalized to learn that Thoreau had to put up with a railroad track nearby. He also had neighbors and visited with them occasionally. There is a popular misconception that Thoreau was a dedicated hermit. But he didn't go to Walden for the sake of solitude per se; he went, as he said, to "live deliberately," which is quite a different thing.

The other part of the boondocker stereotype is that they are impoverished, socially maladjusted, and sour. They hate other people and want to be left alone. Granted, there are half-cracked old guys boondocking in the winter desert and summer forests that you should avoid. They usually habitate in a rusted-out van, wear camouflage clothing, listen to talk radio all day, and have a vicious cur that snarls at anyone who gets within a quarter mile of their hovel. But when another boondocker looks lucid and un-cracked, it is a shame to be estranged from them. It's not as if every unit of human conversation comes at the expense of a unit of holy communing with "nature." Human beings are part of nature too.

Perhaps if boondockers were more sociable, a pent-up demand for human contact wouldn't slowly develop over the course of a year until it finally gets so bad they must do something desperate to overcome it, like go to Quartzsite.

Comments

rvsue said…
Hi Boonie!

"Perhaps if boondockers were . . . " It's good to see you no longer "shirk the subjunctive." Remember me?

I'm the lady in the hat sitting in a wide-body chair waving at you and Ed as you turned the truck around and retreated down the lane. As you were saying . . . "Perhaps if boondockers were more social-able . . ."

rvsue and her canine crew
Ted said…
Most NYC apartment dwellers don't have a tenth of the visitations that Thoreau enjoyed. Most were curious strangers, not people he knew. It's no surprise there was a train track nearby -- his home was a regular Grand Central Station.

I would hate having strangers peeking through my window at all hours and even entering and poking through my stuff when I wasn't there. I must be more of a hermit than Thoreau.
Must have seen Ed and Boonie impersonators. It wasn't us.
Thoreau certainly had more of a social life with his neighbors than I had living a standard suburb in a large metropolitan shithole for a dozen years.
Ed said…
RVSue I was not with Boonie in the truck that you describe in your comment. I doubt that it was him, if he saw you waving I'm sure that he would have come for a visit.

I'm a 'townie' but would enjoy a visit with you when/if you come to the city for groceries. I'm now almost up to 2012 in reading your blog so will be commenting on it soon.
rvsue said…
Hi, Ed!

Next time I'm in town, I'll stop by! It's a hot one today, isn't it. Thank you for reading my blog.
"what gets in the way of boondockers socializing with each other more. "
Easy question. We've been boondocking for a number of years.Part of boondocking is respecting others privacy. If I wanted to hear my neighbor pass gas, I'd stay in a KOA. When selecting a site, I try very hard to stay 100 yards away from my closest neighbor. If that's not possible, I make certain there is no visual contact, i.e. my neighbor, who was there first, won't feel encroached upon by having to look at me. If I can't satisfy either of my requirements, I simply move on. The other guy was there first. It just seems fair.
Secondly. I'm reluctant to approach another boondocker for fear of disturbing their peace. I just don't want to be a pest. I'll always wave and shout hello if close enough and if they reciprocate, I'll wander over for a visit. Otherwise I leave them alone.
Enjoy:
ed

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ~Mark Twain