Skip to main content

Gila Woodpecker?

Perhaps I'll have a chance to enjoy one of the bird preserves in Arizona before I take flight in April. Until then there will be only occasional opportunities. In my current campsite in the Sonoran desert I can hear a pretty good symphony in the morning. How nice that is compared to the 7 and 24 noise pollution of camping in a city. It's more fun to hear than see them. (Some campers couldn't be bothered by any of this; they'd have to wake up in the morning-- grin.)

I've warned readers that -- unlike my opinions on sex, politics, and religion -- my bird identifications are prone to error. But I think this little devil is a Gila woodpecker:




Comments

Anonymous said…
It looks a little bit like a small flicker of some kind too, at least that's what we call them up here.

Scott in Saratoga Springs, NY
Ted said…
Looks like a little bird to me. Kinda pretty and good pics too.

As you can guess, I know naught about avians. I like 'em well enough. The Coon Kitty likes 'em more.
Unknown said…
Wandrin Lloyd is not an early riser, but have seen many Gila Woodpeckers on my hikes in the desert.
heyduke50 said…
Bingo... you nailed it...