Skip to main content

RV Snowbird Plans Winter

My favorite seasons as a full time RVer are the shoulder seasons, when I have to form some sort of plan for the upcoming migration. In autumn the most fundamental question is whether you want to travel in the winter or hibernate in "townie" mode.

The case could easily be made that an RVer needs some balance over the course of a year. From a travel point of view, North America shrinks in the winter, so it might be preferable to go into "townie" mode in the winter, if townie mode one must go. The biggest advantage of townie mode is that you get to know people. In contrast, when I'm in travel mode I make Thoreau at Walden Pond look like a social butterfly. And he only lived there two years!

If only I actually liked one of the warm spots of Arizona! The large cities are just smaller versions of LA. There are few medium sized cities in the snowbird  areas of the Southwest. Yuma is so crowded, and it's hardly a bargain anymore. And the small towns are dusty, impoverished, desert rat towns.

What about Mexico?
Mexico is a big country, so you have to guard against grand generalizations based on spotty anecdotes. I cherish the memories of my Mexican adventures. The internet is making it easier to winter in Mexico. Mexico has its RV boosters. Generally I agree with them about its attractions, but boosters seldom tell both sides of the story. The cliche about 'how cheap Mexico is' might be correct in a narrow sense, but you must add in the substantial cost of getting there.


Comments