Skip to main content

Hitching Up, Moving On

We've left for a new mesa halfway between Santa Fe and and Taos. The land is excellent, spacious, breezy, and at 8100 feet, but the Verizon coverage is giving me fits. Our bike ride took us up to 9500 feet, where we turned around at a grassy knoll. I could see all the way back to the Rio Grande.

Just before we left our Pecos/Santa Fe mesa I had the characteristic anxiety that precedes leaving a well-loved camp site of two weeks duration.  Do other RVers experience this? Even stranger is the tendency to be sentimental about leaving a good old campsite. I felt nothing but relief when I sold off and moved out of the only house I'll ever own. Then my RVing career began, and I was quite choked up about leaving my first campsite, as crazy as that sounds.

Nearby there are a couple well-publicized trailheads for the Pecos Wilderness. Capital 'W', you know. They had a combined clientèle of one parked automobile, on a summer weekend. Perhaps so few people hike there because you must backpack camp overnight to get to the high peaks where you can finally see something! If I was hiking these trails, I would penetrate the forest for about 30 feet, take a good look, and return to the car; I'd seen all there was to see in a forest wilderness.

Comments