Taos/Red River, NM: Yesterday I was struggling with the annual RVer problem of where to camp on the Fourth of July. No solution came to mind, so I tried to solve the problem the way a full time RVer should: I tried to drive away from the problem.
I made it all of twenty miles north of Taos when I started lusting for land that was pinched between the Sangre de Cristo mountains and the Rio Grande gorge. Unaccustomed as I am to dropping into coffee shops, I did so in Questa because it advertised wireless internet. The bucolic barista said that she was shutting down, and recommended Red River, the little ski town/tourist trap of the Enchanted Circle drive. I don't spend much time in tourist traps, but Red River is the highest town in New Mexico. With a heat wave coming, that sounded pretty good.
What fun it is to improvise at the dashboard--to head off with no hard and fast goal in mind, and work things out as you go. But was I really foolish enough to go to a tourist trap on the Fourth of July?
Red River, NM, is quite the tourist trap, which would have bothered me, years ago. Today I just smiled indulgently and felt grateful for a grocery store and Verizon wireless internet coverage. There was a well-maintained gravel road leading into the national forest. Where was all the traffic, the holiday campers, the ten-year-old boys on ATV's? This was a nice surprise, but what if it was a trap!
After five miles I came to the top of this road, where a side road led to marvelous campsites, seldom used. I had to floor it in low gear to get my ultra-light trailer up the last hill, where I camped all alone in an open meadow at 10,400 feet. What a view there was to the west and the Rio Grande Gorge!
The aspen brighten up the gloom of a spruce forest. Why no crowd? Perhaps it was too difficult for heavy toy haulers. This wouldn't be the first time I benefited from being able to pull a lighter trailer to a difficult place.
Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.