Skip to main content

Better than Oregon?

If you had to choose the western state that was most physiographically endowed, which would you choose? Many people might choose California, and I might agree, although I seldom set foot in that state. I have spent a large fraction of my full time RV years in Utah and Arizona.

Great eye candy, those. But I never cared for the culture in either state. Let's just say that I feel no affinity for the LDS culture of Utah, nor the LA-style cities of Arizona, nor the senior-ish snowbird culture of Yuma.

I haven't spent that much time in the eastern half of the Four Corner States, Colorado and New Mexico, until this summer. What an eye opener it has been. Presently the Arkansas Valley of Colorado is delighting me, day after day. It's too bad that this revelation took so long. Perhaps other travelers will admit to geo-bigotries about certain states, which tend to detract from their RV lifestyle.

There is a relaxation that you feel in a culture that you are in harmony with. Today Buena Vista is having its "TrailFest" to honor the completion of the Colorado Trail. I went to some of the booths, and bought the latest Benchmark Atlas of Colorado, which was issued lately. It is the standard tool of an RV boondocker, of course. Sierra Designs had their tents on display. Why were they based in Boulder, with a name like Sierra Designs? Originally they were based in Berkeley, but it got too expensive.

The sheer, outdoor-ish, physical frolic of the place pleases me immensely. Before this summer I had thought that to get away from the standard American chubbie/gasoline culture, you should go to Oregon. But now I think that Colorado is the true outdoor mecca. Yes, it's "landlocked." But if you're not a boater, does that matter?

To prove my point, here's a photo showing that even critters are into this Colorado outdoor exercise culture. These two cuties told me that they don't give rides to their humans, like servile animals of the equine kind. Rather, they take them out for their morning jog/run on a dirt trail along the Arkansas River. Charming!


I was just getting ready to button up today's post when these nice folks rode by my camp site. I see virtually nobody here, even though it is only five miles from town. The land is a perfect balance of ponderosa, grass, panoramic views, privacy, and coolness. It is free. Is this still a great country, or what?

Comments