Skip to main content

River Walking

If you follow the financial news you hear a lot about liquidity crises. I've always had my own form of "liquidity" crisis: an inability to connect with water, despite consistent success in having great experiences with outdoor life, in general.

All summer I've noticed how special it was to see the little dog walk down to the stream behind our RV boondocking site and drink from it. It has been years since he had a chance to do that. Just think!--liquid water, actually running--not just a dry wash or arroyo! How exotic!

After wearying of just looking at the mountain stream next to camp, near Silverton CO, the frustration boiled over one day. I put on a pair of old shoes and took my little poodle out to the mountain stream; we waded out into the foot-deep river. He is no Labrador retriever and doesn't really care for water, but it was a warm afternoon and he seemed to enjoy it.
It's been years since I touched the water myself, except for taking a shower. Other campers watched our water ballet, and laughed their heads off. But say, maybe I've invented a new sport: river walking. It felt so good to be doing something with water rather than just sitting there looking at it!

Of course a new sport will never catch on unless it can be used as an excuse to buy some expensive, specialized, sports equipment. Perhaps the waders and boots used by fly fishermen could be adopted to this hot new sport.
I can just see the front cover of some glossy magazine bragging up this new craze.

Comments