Skip to main content

A Practical Philosopher

It was time for one last ride near Leadville, CO. It was my first time here and I have sort of fallen in love with the place. I chose to mountain bike up a dead end road; they are unpopular with weekenders. Heck, they were even unpopular with me during the first couple years of full time RV boondocking. It took some real effort to break away from the nearly universal preference for a loop road.

On the ride we passed a fine old cabin. Apparently somebody lived in it, at least seasonally. It had a marvelous view back to Mt. Elbert. When I hike or bike uphill I never turn around, per Satchel Paige's classic advice. But in this case I'm glad I did. Although it was only mid-morning Mt. Elbert already had a canopy of threatening clouds. We explored a bit more before returning.  Coming down was such a glide!

At one point I went to check out a spur road that went up an exposed ridge, my favorite topographic form. The freshening breeze was so delightful, on a day when most of the country was burning up. No bugs, moderate humidity, a muted sun. I couldn't help but feel euphoric. Dry Heat conquered at last!

There was still a ways back to the van. I seldom descend with any speed, especially with my hat on, instead of a helmet. But I had to do something to celebrate the occasion, the mood. With the little poodle unbound and leading the charge in front, I let it go, even to the point of feeling a little giddy.

There is no idea so absurd that a human philosopher hasn't embraced it, at one time in history. For example think of the ascetic, quiet-ist tradition that aspires to happiness by renouncing all desires. It's a credit to the human race that few of us ever actually followed these sages, although we sometimes pretend to admire them.

No dog ever did. Maybe that's why the scene of doggie yoga in the movie, "Good Boy," is so funny. A dog would never believe anything as silly as "Less is More." But he will believe that Enough is Enough. One minute he can be careening down a road, enjoying one of his favorite pleasures: running outdoors with a man that he loves. But when he's had enough, he curls up and goes to sleep.

Comments