Skip to main content

The Camera with the Best Specs?

 Soon I will cross into Nevada, a state worth enjoying since it hasn't become overpopulated with retirement McMansions, a la St. George UT.  In the spring I migrated north through Nevada's sagebrush flats and recurring north/south mountain ranges.  Spring probably is the prettiest season because of the snow on these mountain ranges.

One town grabbed me.  [Redacted] was not a mountain boutique town, with overpriced coffee shops and art galleries, and due for real estate development.  It was humble, moderately prosperous, and useful.  Yes, agriculturally useful.  It had the last real grocery store for a couple hundred miles.  What a great feeling!

One particular view grabbed me.  Perhaps I have not shown this photo before:


 It is not an award-winning postcard.  The mountain range is too distant because I was using a smartphone, rather than a real camera.  And speaking of real cameras, I am still watching You Tube videos on cameras, but will I ever pull the trigger and buy a real camera?

This view affected me strongly.  I was fluttering my eyelashes and on the verge of falling into a swoon [milking the act a little]. Why so?  Would a technically superior photo have affected me more?

The mountain range is too far away, optically.  But subjectively it impressed me, perhaps because I was camping further north than normal, and it was cold and a little bit scary.  I was in the mood to become excited.  

It was possible to get closer to the mountain for a better photo, but I didn't want to. It was more fun to think of it as unapproachable, a type of perfection that you can't quite have. 

Solid and material snow is sloughing off the mountain, wafting into insubstantial clouds.  Ahh, now I realize it had evanesced into an idea, a quote from Shakespeare's Macbeth:

Witches vanish.

 Banquo: The Earth hath bubbles, as the Water ha's,
And these are of them: whither are they vanish'd?

Macbeth: Into the Ayre: and what seem'd corporeal,
Melted, as breath into the Winde.
Would they had stay'd

_________________________________

What is a camera lens? A solid piece of glass that has a mathematical shape -- an idea -- which bends insubstantial rays of light, thereby changing the image you think you see.  So is it a material or an idea?

Ah dear, I'll probably go on dreaming up excuses for not buying a real camera, forever. 

 

Comments