How does the old joke go? A man is making an indecent proposal to a woman. She cries out, "What do you think I am?" The man says, "Madam, we both know what you are. We were discussing the price."
That is the best context for Trump-anyahu's proposal to give everyone $5,000 if the Republicans win in the mid-term election. Really, Mr. Trumpanyahu, $5,000?! That would be eaten up at the grocery store and gas pump over the first year or two. Let's be reasonable and offer $50,000.
But his bribe is satisfying to me as an armchair political analyst. During the Covid era I predicted that cash grants would become the new form of political competition. (Remember the stimmie checks?) The leader of the Democratic should immediately come up with the counter-offer of $10,000 if the Democrats take control of Congress. Then Trump can come up with a counter-counter-offer...
_____________________________________
It has not been easy to make sense of the news about Iran firing missiles at US ships in the Arabian Gulf because information is so censored. Think about that -- what does 'Freedom and Democracy' mean when government controls the news the first time there in an undeclared war or some other emergency, such as a virus?
_____________________________________
Once again, I look for solace and escape by reading about the Battle of Midway, by Craig Symonds. There are also a couple good movies about the battle. I need to be soothed by thinking about what America used to, rather than what it has become.

Comments