What is the best pleasure of autumn? If your answer is "fall colors", you probably shouldn't become a full-time RVer. The greatest pleasure is sleeping in a cool bed. Number 2 might be wearing shoes instead of sandals. I actually had to pull out the winter sleeping bag for a couple nights. I love burrowing underneath it.
It put me in such a good mood that I even willingly camped in a place where there would be neighbors. Without any facetiousness, I even smiled at 430 am when my neighbors started making the usual noises about waking up. Isn't that strange?
They weren't normal campers. They had an activity that thoroughly engrossed them. They were hunting bears (or maybe cats) with these hounds.
Hounds are not the breed I would choose as pets, but there is no doubt that hunters and their hounds love the skill and training needed for a successful bear hunt. Such persistence and enthusiasm!
My little cutie and I did a certain long loop on a bike ride for the first time. Just before finishing, I pulled off to the side of the road to let a pickup pass me. He stopped to praise the milk crate on the back of the bike. He seemed surprised that a miniature poodle could run on the ground except when we were going downhill.
His dog back home was a Bernadoodle, who went skiing with him. I can't remember getting so much pleasure from talking to somebody -- not for a long time. He showed me a photo on his phone from a friend of his who got close to a mountain lion. The cat was so close in the photo and it was broad daylight.
Although neighbors are usually something to avoid, and we should expect very little from conversations with "fellow" campers and travelers, it is still worthwhile to allow for the possibility of occasionally getting lucky.
I hate to deliberately lower my expectations with my own species. It feels so defeatist and misanthrope-like. Other animal species tend to be interesting. On this evening's doggie walk, an antelope glided up a nearby steep hill, as if gravity meant nothing. It was a beautiful thing to watch, even if it was only for 10 seconds.
You have to envy people who get charged up when around other people. They are like dogs at the dog park.
| My second dog, Coffee Girl, was completely engrossed playing with this Corgi puppy. The grandmother looked on, watchfully. |
![]() |
| Coffee Girl and some humans try to rescue a completely wild-assed terrier from an arroyo wall in Utah. |
| Release the hounds! She chases an antelope. No chance! |

Comments