Skip to main content

Balancing Serious News With Some Needed Relief

I insist on staying interested in geopolitical events in the world.  Even if I am right about that, some allowance must be made to human nature.  A human can only look at ultra-serious, grim news so much before they need some psychological relief.

I got some relief by reading a book about the Battle of Midway, when America was on the way up in the world.  (The Battle of Midway, by Craig Symonds.)  The Battle of Midway occurred early in the Pacific war of World War II, and turned the tide of war in America's favor. 

It offered me some relief to think that most Americans believed the newspapers, in that era.  They thought their institutions were basically sound and non-corrupt most of the time.  Americans had a bright future!

a
It is especially fun for a baby boomer to think back to what America was in 1945.

More recent histories of World War II do a better job, I think, at emphasizing the decoding of messages.  Americans  had a great advantage in knowing what Japan was up to, prior to the battle.  Of course Hollywood movies made in the 1940s and 50s didn't want to focus on math nerds working on codes in a basement.  They wanted to focus on tall, good-looking heroes, flyboys, and admirals.  So I really appreciated the book correcting Hollywood's myth.

It is ironic to be reading about the US's  greatest naval victory at a time when a small backward nation like Yemen has the nerve to take on the once mighty US Navy near the strait at the south end of the Red Sea.  Will the Houthis of Yemen humiliate the US Navy?

But the book did its purpose.  It refreshed me to think about what America used to be.  I now have a little more courage to face what it is becoming.

Comments

Barb in FL said…
I thought I'd get some relief watching some music videos. Yeah, right. Saw one for a song that my third grade teacher taught us as she played her folk guitar. It was Peter, Paul & Mary singing "If I had a hammer..." Sang along and new all the words, but by the time it was over I realized it fit today. Trying to warn us even back then. Amazing.
Barb, listening to music as a relief from present and future of America might be a good idea. I can't think of many songs, though.