Skip to main content

A Tenuous Hold onto Winter Balminess

What a remarkable streak of luck the Arizona desert has had up till now!  Let's hope the calm days continue, as well as high temperatures in the 60s Fahrenheit.

Since nights are so long, naps should be avoided on these days.  (Read pseudo-naps, with ten minutes of unbelievably deep relaxation, but no real unconsciousness.)  

But after one mountain bike ride I debauched myself with a pseudo-nap, while watching a DVD of William Wyler's "The Big Country," with Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, and some other fine actors.  There is something about the dry, open grasslands in that movie that suckers me in.  The movie's emphasis on fast horse-riding is redolent of mountain biking.

And then there is the classic tagline that really should be more famous, especially to the lovers of wide, open spaces in the western states:

Gregory Peck: "How about showing me your ranch?  Do we ride or do we walk?"  

Jean Simmons dismissed him with:  "Any ranch you can see on foot, just isn't worth seeing."


Then the usual magic happened, as rhapsodized-over several times on this blog.  Deep relaxation is actually sweeter than sleep.  But something different happened this time.  Besides just barely touching unconsciousness, I just barely sensed sunny balminess from the solar screen on the trailer's open door.  Then it slid back into a slight chilliness. 

I had no idea that such a thing could be so marvelous.  A few minutes later I was revived by a half-dozen motor-crazed yahoos going by my trailer.  You'd think that would have ruined the reverie.  But it didn't.

Recently I wrote about the Fragility of the Exquisite.  Apparently the Exquisite can sometimes have a durability that transcends time and luck.

Comments