Skip to main content

Introducing Q.t. 𝞹

In case you haven't experienced it before: how nice it is to have a clean, lavender-shampooed, brushed, luvvie-duvvie poodle in your bed at night! She would snuggle right up against my face if I let her. Life doesn't get any better than this -- except when we are cycling. (I do wish the bed was wider!)

She is tied to my waist when cycling. It is counter-intuitive but the dog is safer when you shorten the leash so that she keeps the wheel in her peripheral vision. (5 feet is about right.)

I have tried a basket that mounts to the handlebar. It is easy and quick to stuff the dog into the basket. But 20 pounds is quite a bit of weight on the handlebar. It feels clumsy, so I might give up on this idea.

I am having no luck at getting her to stay in her K9 sport sack.

It is hard to catch her on camera when she is happy and prancing.

It is great that the dog gets to face forward and stick its forepaws out of the bag, but she is too nervous, so far.


Comments

Ed said…
I hate to even think about what I would look like if I tried to stuff Erik in that K9 sport sack. He would turn me every way but loose. I am considering taking his harness off and giving him another good brushing. Thinking about it but also thinking about the consequences for putting it back on last time. A K9 sport sack - NO WAY!
Kelly said…
She sure looks sweet.
Sorry, but definetly not in agreement of making a dog (especially a small one) run along while you cycle. . A dog is not a marathon runner and is not supposed to run along at 3 to 5 mph unable to stop and pee, sniff and smell, have a drink of water. I sure hope she gets used to a different arrangement for going with you.
Kelly
Kelly, you should see my friend take her 60 lb heeler mix on a run. He virtually explodes out the door, tries to bite the car tires, and then runs down the road at 25--30 mph for 5-10 minutes. Gradually he slows to a fast trot. Dog like some wild frenzied intensity in their lives.

You are right about dogs not being marathon runners if run means gallop. But they can trot for hours. You should see the look of pleasure that QT𝞹 has on her face when she scampers/trots/prances alongside the bike!
Ed, yea, if Erik was facing forward in that k9 Sport Sack, he would be in a good position to take a chomp out of your ear!
Wildsider said…
Have you considered a rear mounted rack/basket configuration?
If you haven't viewed them, do a search on John and Mira videos.
Yes, he is riding a rigid frame, but there might be a way to set up a rear suspension bike. Just a thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh26dY8fBtg
Thanks, Wildsider. I am still working on those videos. My first dog/bike arrangement years ago was a rear rack on a hardtail bike. It worked, but my first little dog was such an alpha that he kept trying to look around me, until he injured his neck.

Then I transitioned to a BOB trailer, which seemed necessary for a fully suspended mountain bike.

But today there is a rear rack for fully suspended bikes, made by Old Man Mountain. I might try one. My new dog is not an alpha so she might be happy looking sideways.