Skip to main content

Hearing non-BS from Animal Control

 The woman in the animal control office of a small town absolutely made my day. And she brought it up!

I was moaning a bit about how frustrating it was to find a small, low-shedding dog to adopt, and she offered her opinion about "doodles" and other half-poodles, usually called "XYZ-a-poo".

"Those dawgs are just mutts, but they call them 'designer dogs'," she said. Indeed. There is a genetic health argument for mixed breeds, but that isn't why half-poodles are so popular. The buzzword, Designer Dog, makes them sell for more $$$ to an aspirational consumer.

Once, before I die, I would like to encounter something connected with money that is actually true.

Comments

Ed said…
Something about money that is true.

The dollar bill in your pocket is worth less than its actual cost in ink, paper, and printing press energy to make. It's finely-engraved toilet paper.

You know there is a coin shortage in the United States. Why would that be? For a long time now it has cost more to mint the coins than their face value.

Good luck with finding that dog you want.
Yes, I need to do more thinking and take more action about inflation before my life's-savings is wiped out. I would just as soon avoid financial speculation at this time in my life. But holding cash is a form of speculation whether I admit it or not.
William said…
KB: I am as interested in economics as you seem to be in history.

I am holding most of our investments in cash, as there is no good alternative. The little stock we own should be sold before the market crashes if I wanted to maximize the return.

It seems to be you are paying too much attention to the media's spotlight on inflation. In fact, what do you buy that is included in the inflation statistic? Studies show people notice gasoline prices the most.

Perhaps you do keep a detailed record of all your spending and can compare it year to year. I, like pretty much everyone, don't.

Stratagize to be able to live on your Social Security check alone, assuming you do have one. After that, sleep well! (You well know SS recipients vote at a higher rate and won't tolerate any decrease)

PS: If you don't have a SS check, there is always the "Final Exit" solution! We all are "Exiting" in the end, anyway.



Good comments, William, but this post is about dog-marketing-fraud, rather than economics and inflation in general. But thank you.