Skip to main content

Dogs Teach Hope

Few people know less about raising children than an old bachelor. Still, I like trying to imagine it, sometimes. It wouldn't surprise me if, even in this corrupt and debauched age of ours, there are idealistic parents who try to interest their children in free activities not based on buying some piece of crap -- probably with lots of plastic, electronics, and batteries. 

When playing with a friend's dog and my new miniature poodle, Q.T.𝞹, I actually had to stretch my imagination to improvise with something to throw them. It is in our DNA to run to the store and buy some overpriced toy, which is normally designed for the human customer's eyeballs, rather than the dog's teeth and nose. Still, the store-bought toys can be well-designed at times.

Like most dogs, these dogs like marrow bones, both to chew and to chase. But none was handy. Nor were there any rubber or plastic balls. So I picked up sticks to hurl for them.

They loved the sticks, both to chase and to chew. It was a strangely satisfying experience. There is hope in this old world of ours.

Comments