Skip to main content

A New Sweetheart Goes Shopping

Overall, getting a new dog is a great experience. But it can certainly turn your life upside-down at the beginning.

I had given up on F#^Ck#@ng rescue organizations. But county or city animal shelters were still a possibility. If only they would practice "ethnic" cleansing on their inventory. [eyes rolling] 

The new push was in the direction of phoenix craigslist>community>pets. Its selection of pets was weird. I was determined not to get sucked into any scam artist who wanted a deposit from me to hold my dog, since of course "they would be having lots of other calls."

So, I took the plunge. She was 70% of what I thought would be perfect. When does the world give you 100%?

Almost instantly she got on my lap in the driver's seat and gave me a kiss. Hey, we were in the big city and there were pet-store big-boxes around, so why not take her shopping?  


Yes, she is a miniature poodle, about 17 pounds, and 4 years old. And she ain't no stinkin' doodle or xyz-a-poo! (grin)

 

Comments

Gail Kelly Florence said…
Awww, Hope coffee girl likes her.
She looks darn cute.
Was she already named ?
Congratulations. Sounds like a nice friend you have found. Generally I find poodles nice pups.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your new buddy! I can't imagine life without a dog -- or two, or even up to four at one point. Besides...you may have saved a life. Good times ahead!

Renee (Aztec, NM)

PS -- I have followed your blog for quite some time, but don't usually comment. This occasion deserved commenting!!
Gail, yes she was named but I want to change it. It took 3 weeks to name Coffee Girl. Leaning towards Mamacita or Conchita right now. Of course I would shorten that half the time. I like certain sounds when talking to a dog: P,CH,K,and T. For instance I helped to name a friend's dog 'Chaco' once. And would prefer the name end with an "EEE" sound or the Indo-European female "a" sound.
Barney, thanks. She is getting better every day. The first 24 hours was rough!
Renee, thanks for taking that Great Leap Forward from lurker to commenter! (grin)

Presumably you weren't a full-time RVer when you had 4 dogs!

I keep wanting to stop by in Aztec NM and do the mtn. bike trails. I converted my current trailer in Farmington, NM
Ed said…
I'm glad you found a new sweetheart; she is a pretty girl.

I also think you have very good taste in harness and leash colors. You need to go to my posting of 31 January to see Erik's harness to understand why I say so.

A rough first 24 hours you say. I have had a fairly rough two months but there is hope.
Ed, you certainly walked into a bigger challenge than me with you young male Cattle Dog. He must be a handful, to put it mildly.
Ted said…
Congrats! Sounds like a winner to me. I hope she continues to adapt to her new home without issues.
Thanks, Ted. Looking for a dog was reminding me of all the frustration I once spent on looking for a van!
Gail Kelly Florence said…
I like certain sounds when talking to a dog: P,CH,K,and T. For instance I helped to name a friend's dog 'Chaco' once. And would prefer the name end with an "EEE"--------------

hence Pheebe, Pheeber and the Pheebs
I wish she could hear me saying her name.
Ordered a special whistle for dogs going deaf. Came all the way from Ireland !
But did not help.
Anonymous said…
ha ha, Boonie,you can delete 2 of those comments, It kept showing " try again "

Kelly TBB
Kelly, I know what you mean about still talking to your dog even though it can't hear anymore!
Bon vivant said…
I musta missed the post about rescue orgs. What's the deal?
Bon vivant, Rescue organizations do not like full-time RVers because we don't have a fenced yard of a certain size and height of fence.

The fact that we spend 24 hours a day with the dog means nothing to them.

They are welcome to keep their defective dogs, for all I care.