He was big and proud: a male bighorn sheep was posing on a mountainous ridgeline, merely 100 yards from the road. I pulled over and rolled the window down. But I had no camera!
A couple years ago I gave up on the $200 cameras with 20X optical zoom. They only lasted 2-3 years. Usually the telescoping zoom mechanism would stop working. Presumably it only took one grain of sand to jam things up.
My solution was a "tough" camera which lacks an external telescoping mechanism. It does have an internal telescoping mechanism for optical zoom. Keeping the moving/sliding parts internal is what keeps it 'tough.'
But it also keeps the optical zoom down to a mere 4X. That would barely have worked for that magnificent bighorn ram.
So did I do the right thing by giving up on those 20X zoom cameras? It seemed like the right decision at the time, but I never bring my (low zoom) digital camera along anymore. And the smartphone has no zoom.
Since I belong to the school of photography that says the best camera is the one that you actually bring along, my photography-life is essentially dead.
Say, wouldn't it be great if a smartphone had a high zoom with no moving parts, by using a separate fixed lens? Multiple fixed lenses has become the style for expensive smartphones, these days. I wonder how high the optical zoom goes?
| From the archive, bighorns in the Arizona mountains. |
After spending some time studying telescoping lenses, it seems that I am going to fall into the usual difficulty: they don't explain how products work. They say nothing about what a single grain of sand can do to sliding plastic cylinders.
Comments
Post a Comment
For the Brave browser, you might have to turn off Reader Mode to comment.
Feel free to disagree as much as you want with any ideas, but resist the ad hominem approach.