Skip to main content

Wow Dude, This Was, Like, So Cool!

There was a time not so many generations ago when Americans actually made things for a living. Today we just shop for a living, either online or driving around in heavy traffic to stores. As hard as it is to believe, some people actually enjoy shopping.

For my part, I haven't had a wonderful experience shopping more than a couple times in my lifetime. I had one today.

It seemed like a good idea to put a metal dog tag on my new camera, since it is the most expensive camera I have ever owned. The machines that make these metal dog tags keep getting better. I made mine at Petsmart.

Yes, it had a digital menu. Normally this would put me in an incendiary mood, but this menu was intelligently designed.

You just slide the tag into the machine in an unambiguous way, and watch the laser-scribing through a glass window. Fascinating and beautiful! It could even scribe on both sides of the tag, so there was enough room to say, "Text" and then my phone number. I asked the store employee to come over and give me a little speech about how the machine worked. He seemed to enjoy that.

Although I am not really keeping count, the number of delightful shopping experiences must be numbered on one hand. 

Unfortunately this photo (middle) doesn't show the laser rastering across the dog tag.

Comments

Doesn't take much to make you happy, does it?

Enjoy the little pleasures of daily life.

Ed
Well, I agree Ed but on the other hand, if it takes so little, then why hasn't it happened more often?
Ed said…
Very informative posting. I never knew that you could make your own dog tags. I had one issued to me many years ago but it was stamped rather than lasered. I had to do some unassigned homework and found that I could buy my own dog tag laser machine for only $1,800 at Amazon and get FREE Shipping.

I also learned a new word - rastering. I'll probably forget it but maybe recognize it if I see it again.