Skip to main content

Individuals Versus Political Stereotypes

It seems as though there are twice as many Arizona Trail walkers as there were last year. It has been cool and rainy, so none of them have had the silver umbrellas strapped to their backpacks that they've had in the past. I loved those para-sols. Taken as an individual thing, a parasol almost makes me sympathetic to what I call 'los peregrinos,' since that is the only way I can visualize somebody being motivated to pursue such a slow, plodding sport through so many miles of ghastly heat. Yes, peregrinos of the Church of the Holy Green.

At least they fit in with the town. There is some mine exploration or cleanup of old mining areas in the vicinity. Most of the town dislikes the mining industry, and tried to stop it from reviving in the local mountains. I am the misfit in town, because I was pro-miner. Still, I can't say I enjoy sharing the narrow dirt roads with their big trucks.

On the way back from today's ride, I could see a giant red dump truck approaching from the opposite direction. As usual, I pulled off the road in order to give the truck more room. The truck drivers usually give me a friendly wave for this extra effort.

Surprisingly the truck driver pulled up to me and shut off his diesel engine. He starting asking questions about wildlife in the area. We talked about that subject for 15 minutes. He mentioned that a large owl was preying in his neighborhood, presumably for his little Chihuahua dog. Fortunately for the little dog, he shared the back yard with a German Shepherd.

He was quite interested in the local wildlife. Not once did he mention hunting.

I was quite surprised by this conversation. I wish it would have benefited one of the anti-mining people in town, who would probably have been even more surprised than me.

Greens have millenarian hopes for electrical cars, but they oppose copper mining.

Comments

Bill said…
Advocacy for responsible mining doesn't necessarily make one "antii-mining." Opening up national parks and monuments to mining is wrong. Mine owners indifference to mine workers plight and health is wrong. Profit above responsible mining is wrong. Gouging out entire sections of landscape is wrong. Advocacy for less dependence on fossil fuels is right. Advocacy for wind and solar is right.
Anonymous said…
Wind and solar take alot of copper and lead ( batteries). Gross to see acres covered with solar panels. ( denuded area. Loss of habitat. Have to be cleaned. Where’s water coming from. Wind is alot of carbon blades. Shipped and trucked from germany. Ton of infrastructure in what used to be habitat. There no magic solution.