Skip to main content

Sweet 16

My little poodle, Pancho, celebrates his 16th birthday this week. He has no illness or pain that I know of. But he has the usual old-dog issues like deafness and maybe 50% of his eyesight left.

After the coyote attack last autumn (click the Dancing with Wolves tab at the top of the screen) I restricted him to walking on the leash. When he started slowing down and losing interest in going on walks, I was a bit slow to see cause and effect. Another dog owner told me how her last old dog loved eating and going on car rides right to the end. I wondered if I should take Pancho out in the BOB trailer that fits behind a bicycle and let him go off-leash. So I did both.

He started acting a whole year younger! What a little scamp. Seriously, his "hearing" has even improved, by which I mean his mental alertness has improved to react to what little hearing is left. But we saw the coyote close to camp a couple days ago. So his off-leash distance from me must be kept short!

  
I'm not sure who is more worn, my old poodle or the bicycle seat. But they still serve an important purpose in this old world of ours.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy 16th Birthday, Pancho:

Glad to read that Pancho enjoyed his trailer ride behind your bike and that his perkiness improved.

I had to put to sleep my dear cat Simon and neither the Vet or myself knew he was almost totally blind; he lived such a full life and was so happy.

Wishing Pancho many more birthdays!!!

Love,
G & R from JAX, FL
Happy birthday Pancho. May you have many more!!!
Mark and Bobbie
G&R and Mark and Bobbie, thanks for the birthday wishes!

Pancho