Skip to main content

12 Angry Boonies

Whew! I just completed a 27-page questionnaire for serving on the jury of a Federal case in which a conviction could lead to the death penalty. Since I live 100 miles from the courtroom and have no way of getting there, I expect to be passed over. Still, I had to fill the questionnaire out completely and honestly.

As a libertarian, more or less, it pains me to admit that the System did a fair and just job with the questions. In fact you could write a long essay in response to many of their rather philosophical questions. Typically they gave two lines for the response, but what else could they do?

I have never served on a jury before; this trial is expected to take 6-8 weeks. Naturally I don't want to serve. Gee, would they let a juror carry a netbook into the jury box and write essays about the judicial system?

Who knows what answers on the questionnaire the System is looking for. My guess is that they're looking for the lack of anything that either side objects to, rather than for the positive existence of anything. Isn't that how any System works?

It was a strange situation to be in; even delightful in its own way. Normally bluntness and candor are harmful to one's cause -- it entails risks of different kinds, makes enemies, etc. -- but in this case I shot from both hips, knowing that the more they knew about me, the more likely I was to get out of serving. 

After I filled out the questionnaire you can guess which classic courtroom drama I watched.

Comments