Skip to main content

Reunion with Desert Arroyos

BLM land near Soccoro, NM. It's hard to believe that I was hiking at San Juan mountain altitudes less than a month ago, near Ouray CO.


How could an outing along the Rio Grande possibly stack up well compared to hiking several thousand feet above a boutique mountain town that is visited by people from all over the world? Fortunately outdoor pleasure is not influenced all that much by sheer size. Also, this blog is dedicated to promoting a tacto-centric hedonic ethos of the outdoors versus the opto-centric obsessions of the mass tourist.

Here it is chilly most of the time, but I liked it except for the first day, when the cold wind was a bit unpleasant. (But hey, it's winter in New Mexico.) Besides, the unpleasantness just made our reunion with the arroyos of the desert more delicious.

I really appreciated one reader's comments about the under-rated outdoor pleasure of experiencing warm sun and cold air against the skin, simultaneously. That was even more the case on our first arroyo walk; we were camped on a windy ridgeline (to have line-of-sight to a cell tower)...


...and were relieved to jump into the first arroyo (dry wash, dry gully). Immediately I noticed the wind dying down and my black pants and shirt heating up.

I was flash-flooded with pleasant reminiscences now that Coffee Girl and I were back in arroyo-mode. The ridgelines have a sharp and harsh texture, which you might not notice walking; but put your hand down on the ground, with some pressure on it. A poor dog has to run on that dreadful stuff. This used to cause problems for my little poodle in the old days. (He decided to rest today.)

But we were foot-loose on the alluvium now and, oh, how dogs love that stuff! They have pads, you know, not hooves. As always, having a dog along enhances the pleasure because it functions as an extension of your own central nervous system; it makes you more sensitive to everything.

Comments

Ted said…
The "opto-centric obsessions of the mass tourist", eh? I like that phrase.

I have found that since slowing down and taking environments as they come, I no longer crave the forceful seduction of popular "sights". That which requires the active mind of an observer to create beauty in the observed has become more of my thing. Ordinary beauty can be so extraordinary!
What a pose by old Poncho!
Ted, I think I understand what you're saying. I dither between "creating beauty in the observed" and trying something that makes me more receptive and appreciative of the beauty that already, objectively, exists.

Box Canyon, thought you'd like that pose. The little poodle has always had panache when the camera comes out of the bag. That pose was at 13,000 feet, Mosquito Pass near Leadville, taken when he was 13 years old.
Ted said…
Boonie, that too.

It just seems that seeing the overpoweringly beautiful "sights" was blinding me to the subtle beauties all around me. Akin to how staring into headlights at night destroys night vision. So much is missed or dismissed as uninteresting--ordinary beauty doesn't always show in a photo.